How I Made $731,053 Blogging In 2017
Welcome to my online business income report where I show you how I made money online last year. It’s time to look at the year’s results and see how I did.
If you’re new to RefiOnlineColleges, you may be wondering why I would want to publish my annual income report. You can simply skip to the next section if you’re not new here.
This all started out as my personal extra income summary because in the beginning, it was all about the money I was earning from my side jobs. It helped me keep on top of my tight budget back in those days. Right from the beginning, I included all of the income I made except for what I made at my day job.
Finally, I left my day job as a product and project manager in October of 2016 and now my monthly income summaries comprise of the many ways I earn a living.
I always get asked why I would ever want to publicly post my income. Some think I’m crazy, whereas some are glad I’m open about what I’m doing. Whatever you think, I’m proud of publishing details of my online income and I share them publicly for three main reasons:
- Before I started blogging, I knew nothing about side hustling and making money online. I didn’t think side jobs were worth the effort and I thought the only way to significantly increase your income was through raises at your full-time job. If it weren’t for others publishing their incomes, I don’t know if I would have ever tried side hustling. I want to help show others the positives in side hustling and how it can change a person’s life. There are many different ways to make money online, and I like to share my story each month to help motivate others to improve their financial situation by making more money.
- Secondly, I like to publish my income because it’s a way for me to look back, learn from my mistakes and actually see what areas need improvement. I use my income summary as a way to track how I’ve done and I treat it sort of like a journal.
- Lastly, I like to show others that making side money is possible and that there are many legitimate ways to make money from your home.
I know I say this a lot, but it’s the truth. Life is great now that I’m my own boss and a full-time blogger. I look forward to each and every day and it’s a wonderful feeling. I truly love waking up every single morning.
Above are just a few of the reasons for why I enjoy publishing my income . I like to show others that you don’t have to hate your job and hate your life. You can make changes to your life and make money in a way that allows you to truly enjoy the life you are living. I’m not saying that you have to LOVE your job, I’m just saying that your job should, at least, allow you to do what you like to do outside of work (whether that be spending time with loved ones, painting, hiking, etc.).
How To Start A Blog FREE Email Course
In this free course, I show you how to create a blog easily, from the technical side (it’s easy – trust me!) all the way to earning your first income and attracting readers. Join now!
2017 Business Year In Review
Before we begin with my business income update, I want to start off with my 2017 wrap up. 2017 was a great year for many reasons and you will read why below.
2017 was a huge year for me and my business. Business income grew significantly:
- In 2015, my side income totaled $16,519.
- In 2016, my side income totaled $33,929.
- Then I went into full time blogging and in 2017, I made $731,053.
YES, In 2017, I earned $731,053.
Yes, that means my online income in 2017 was more than 40 times what I earned in 2015.
I just can’t say how much my life has changed. I also traveled full-time, learned how to manage a better work/life balance, started being healthier, tried new things, and more.
I attribute a lot of my business success in 2017 to several specific actions I took.
- I tried new things. Instead of doing the same things over and and over again, I finally started trying new things, such as podcasts, webinars, email lists, promoting better, creating a product, and more. This has helped me grow and accept more and new opportunities that before I was too afraid to do.
- I diversified my income. In 2017, I finally took the leap into Affiliate Marketing. This helped me to diversify my business and try a new form of income. Now, my business income primarily consists of affiliate marketing, a product, sponsorships, and advertising, which is a mix that I’m very happy with. If you’re looking for some easy ways to boost your blogging income, I recommend the Online Entrepreneur Certification Course. This is a 10-lesson course that will walk you through the steps of creating a successful online business that generates income. The FREE “Getting Started” Course (level 1) is your first step to realizing your potential as an online business owner. Just sign up for a free account and take the course. There are also plenty of incredible paid courses too, but take only the ones you need for your specific niche. If you’re a blogger (even if you’re a new blogger!), then you NEED this course.
- I started posting less but spending more time on promoting and marketing my website. When I first started blogging over 3 years ago, I was publishing a new piece of content every single day and sometimes even twice a day. However, that was super draining. Now, I write just on Monday, and every other Friday is a side hustle interview. I found that this schedule works much better, as I can spend more time writing high-quality content and more time promoting that content. Before, I didn’t spend much time promoting my blog because I just didn’t have the energy to and I didn’t fully realize the value in promoting. This is a much better system for me now and I definitely think it’s working.
- I focused on my email list. I didn’t start taking my email list seriously until around April of 2016 when I switched to Constant Contact. Constant Contact makes sending an effective and efficient newsletter so much easier and better. I never really understood email marketing before, but ConvertKit makes it so easy and now I feel like I’m an expert! I now have around 20,000 email subscribers. One of my biggest blogging mistakes was waiting years to start my email list. If you don’t have one yet, you should start ASAP!
- I spent time figuring out Socialmedia. I started 2016 with just around 650 followers and ended it with 27,000. I owe a lot of that to FanPage Robot. Its a tool that I couldn’t have grown my following so fast without. Simply put, it grew intrest in my fan page on all the top social media sites through viral content. All automated at the click of a button. This improved my blogging income, grew my email list, and more.
As you can see, these specific actions all changed my business significantly, and for the better. I’ve learned a lot over the past year and have been applying everything that I’ve learned towards my business.
And, I know that 2018 will be even better. I am learning more and more about improving my blogging business, so I have a good feeling that 2018 will be great as well.
My business income goal for 2018 is to earn $1,100,000 from my business.
I want to thank all of you for making this possible. Without my readers, I don’t know where I would be. Again, thank you!
Now, here’s my 2017 income summary!
Disclosure: I am a professional blogger and receive compensation from the companies whose products I review. I test each product thoroughly and give high marks to only the very best. I am independent and the opinions expressed here are my own.
How was my business income in 2017?
My business is growing, income is increasing, I have tons of amazing ideas for 2018, and I am very excited about everything. I really love my business and I don’t know where I would be without it.
If you are interested in starting a blog of your own, I created a tutorial that will help you start a blog of your own for cheap, starting at only $2.95 per month (this low price is only through my link) for blog hosting. In addition to the low pricing, you will receive a free website domain (a $15 value) through my Bluehost link if you purchase, at least, 12 months of blog hosting. FYI, if you are asking yourself “can you make money blogging?” – my top tip is to be self-hosted. This is essential if you want to monetize your blog as you will appear more professional and this will help you monetize your blog tremendously. My blogging income did not take off until after I switched to self-hosted WordPress.
Breakdown of 2017 income – $731,053.33:
- Affiliate income – $592,019 total:
- Speaking invitations – $19,506.00
- Sponsorships and advertising- $18,000.00
- Display advertising – $101,528.33
The income amount above is for the year of 2017 and before any fees or expenses (some fees and expenses that lower the amount above total around $3,500 (rounded up), which include virtual assistants, technical assistance, PayPal fees, Stripe fees, etc., however, this does not include taxes) being taken out. As I work for myself, I also have to cover taxes (which are over 30%), health insurance, and all other benefits/expenses that an employer may provide.
Check out The Wealthy Affiliate Online Entrepreneur Course for all of the different ways you can make money through a blog and affiliate marketing.